Check & Log
- How accurately did you depict the overall proportions of the figure?
Slightly mixed results regarding the success of the figures’ proportions.
The seated pose was working proportionally, or so I thought, until I examined the hands, they were a little too small. Regardless of scale, the hands should be big enough to cover the owner’s face and I can not quite imagine them doing so in this drawing.
The lying pose, however, I was much happier with. My viewpoint of being at the head of the pose looking down the length of the figure was great fun to draw. The head was a particular challenge as there was a large amount of foreshortening. So rather than thinking of head, chest, arms, legs etc, I decided to think landscape – hills and valleys, and just drawing the shapes I could actually see. This worked and gives a fair representation of the pose. My only annoyance is that I didn’t quite fit the left foot onto the paper!
- Did you try to imagine the sitter’s skeleton and muscles? Did this help you to convey the figure’s structure and form?
This technique was more obvious in the standing pose of the three drawings. Although it was easier to imagine as the model is muscular and the structure was actually visible. I tried to pay attention to the joints, particularly in the legs. Initially, it appeared a simple pose, however, the way the model was standing, emphasised weight on his right leg and the slight bend of his left. Positioning of the knee and ankle joints were crucial to depicting the stance. Also the overlap of chest over upper arm, forearm over upper arm and wrist over forearm on his left side, helped establish the weight on his left elbow. Initially, I couldn’t quite see what was wrong with the model’s drawn right side. Quick measuring seemed to confirm the outline I had drawn, however, the torso and shoulders seemed too small. I took photographs and stood the drawing up for a while and kept going back to look at it. It then dawned on me that the tones were incorrect, the shoulder needed to come forward to give a more rounded appearance, rather than the flat result I’d achieved. Taking down the tone established a highlight that made the shoulder appear to come forward, this worked much better.